Renovations to preserve Tbilisi''s architectural heritage
(27 Mar 2010)
Tbilisi, Georgia, 10 February 2010
1. Wide pan of old Tbilisi houses in ruins
2. Mid of old Tbilisi balcony
3. Wide of damaged house with church in background
4. Wide of damaged house, with rescue worker in foreground
5. Mid of ruined house interior
6. Close of ruined house interior
7. Wide of rescue workers in the house
8. Mid of rescue worker in the house, retrieving painting
9. Close of briefcases
10. SOUNDBITE (Georgian) Gulnazi Tsitsvidze, Resident of Old Tbilisi:
Our house was very old and we were expecting that something wrong would happen. Thank God that we felt it before everything happened and escaped safely. We ran away and house has collapsed in half an hour.
11. Wide of rescue workers retrieving items from rubble, putting them into plastic bags
12. Mid of children watching rescue work
13. Wide of sofa being tipped over wall of damaged house
14. Wide of damaged house
Tbilisi, Georgia, 12 February 2010
15. Various of renovated houses in Old Tbilisi
16. Wide of man painting the balcony of Old Tbilisi house
17. Mid of man painting the balcony
18. Wide of Old Tbilisi district
19. Mid of Old Tbilisi district being renovated
20. Wide of architect George Nikolaishvili climbing stairs
21. Mid of George Nikolaishvili climbing steps
22. SOUNDBITE (Georgian) George Nikolaishvili, Architect of the Old Tbilisi project:
This is one of the oldest districts of Tbilisi. It was in a horrible shape, houses were in terrible conditions, due to outdated infrastructure some of the buildings were damaged or ruining gradually. That is why the government has designed the programme of the rehabilitation of the Kala district and the project was thoroughly financed by the city municipality.
23. Wide of steps on Old Tbilisi street
24. Wide of brightly-coloured renovated houses on Old Tbilisi street
25. Mid of woman looking from the balcony
26. Wide of man walking and woman sweeping Old Tbilisi street
27. Wide of Lela Tsiklauri standing on balcony
28. SOUNDBITE (Georgian) Lela Tsiklauri, Kala district resident:
I think it is very urgent and very important to start the renovation, otherwise this district would not exist any more. During the past year tremendous work has been done, we would not manage to do it ourselves, because we are ordinary people living here and could not manage to pay the costs of the renovation. Everything turned out to be beautiful and we are very happy.
29. Various of worker in fluorescent jacket climbing steps
30. Wide of construction works at top of steps
31. Wide of workers moving equipment on steps
32. Mid of worker plastering wall
33. Wide of Tbilisi rooftops
34. Wide of Tbilisi buildings and river
35. Wide of renovated district of Old Tbilisi
A historic district in Georgia is being restored before the buildings collapse altogether.
Tbilisi''s Kala district boasts traditional architecture which is under threat from neglect.
Tbilisi''s old town is a combination of crooked streets, courtyards and overhanging balconies.
Its architecture is an eclectic mixture of European and Middle Eastern influences.
But currently houses in Georgia''s capital''s enchanting old town have fallen into disrepair following a long period of economic decline.
Frequently rescue workers are called to help to take belonging from a damaged house.
Gulnazi Tsitsividze lived in this house for years.
Then one day it collapsed.
Miraculously the family escaped.
Our house was very old and we were expecting that something wrong would happen. Thank God that we felt it before everything it happened and escaped safely. We ran away and house has collapsed in half an hour, she says.
You can license this story through AP Archive:
Find out more about AP Archive:
Rkinis Rigi str. (Tbilisi, Georgia) / რკინის რიგი, თბილისი
To the left of Char-din street and continuing Bambis Rigi there is Rkinis Rigi. Chardin St., Bam-bis Rigi, Rkinis Rigi and Erekle II St. are a great way to wander around the local art galleries and souvenir shops with a chance to refu-el in one of the area's many cafes.