Found! Secret Gold Mine and Mining Camp Hidden in the Mountains
We recently stumbled upon this secret, hidden, abandoned mine and mining camp high up in the mountains. We explored one mine tunnel as well as the surface structures. A shed onsite contained an old vintage Silvertone radio/record player from 1940, a winch, a newspaper from 1957, and other artifacts. Inside the mine, we found more artifacts used by the miners, and we demonstrate in the video how those artifacts were used by the miners long ago.
Climbing West Butte, Sweet Grass Hills, Montana USA 2015
The Sweet Grass Hills (Blackfoot: kátoyissiksi, Cheyenne: vé'ho'ôhtsévóse, Salish: ččaɫalqn , three peaks are a small group of low mountains rising more than 3,000 feet above the surrounding plains southwest of Whitlash, Montana in Liberty and Toole County, Montana. The tallest point in the hills is West Butte at 6,983 feet (2,128 m). Quite prominent in the local area, they are clearly visible from US Highway 2 to the south and can sometimes be seen as far north as the Crowsnest Highway (Highway 3) near Medicine Hat in Alberta. Other named peaks in the small group are Gold Butte (6,512 feet), East Butte (with two peaks, the taller of which at 6,958 ft), and Mount Lebanon (5807 ft). The Sweet Grass Hills are an example of the island ranges that dot the central third portion of the state of Montana. These island ranges, completely surrounded by the 'sea' of plains and not geographically (or often geologically) part of the Rocky Mountains to the west, are biological hotspots, containing more species than the prairie below.
Formation and natural features[
The Sweetgrass Hills as seen from Writing-on-Stone Provincial Park in Canada.
The hills were formed in the early Paleogene period, and geologically are known as stocks - intrusive igneous rock forced up from below and solidified. Because of uplift and erosion, the overlying rock formations have disappeared. The upper slopes of the hills have not been glaciated and would have stood above the ice sheet that covered the area during the last ice age. Since the Sweet Grass Hills are at a higher elevation than the surrounding prairie, temperatures are cooler and precipitation is higher. Forested areas, consisting mainly of Douglas fir, are therefore able to grow on the hills' slopes.
Montana Heritage Tour: Part 2
To the Hi-Line: Tracking Homesteaders, Dinosaurs, and Wildlife. Part 2 of the series documenting some of Montana's small museums includes Phillips County Museum, Great Plains Dinosaur Museum, Blaine County Museum, and Blaine County Wildlife Museum. A collaboration between the Montana Historical Society and Helena Civic Television (HCTV).
To Love A Place - Idaho's Main Salmon River
Conservation of wild rivers has to start with love. Amy Kober has spent the last 18 years of her career dedicated to saving waterways with American Rivers.
In an effort to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Wild & Scenic Rivers Act in 2018, American Rivers is working to protect 5,000 miles of new Wild and Scenic Rivers and one million acres of riverside land protected over the next five years.
In addition to the powerful conservation goal, American Rivers along with NRS, YETI, and O.A.R.S., have launched the 5,000 Miles of Wild campaign: embarking on a mission to tell the stories of America’s rivers and the people who love them—from whitewater boaters and avid anglers, to families and urban dwellers who enjoy backyard escapes.
“By collecting personal stories from people across America, we will show how rivers connect all of us and send one clear and unified message to our elected leaders: our rivers are worth saving,” Amy said. “Our aim is to recruit, engage and empower a lasting army of people speaking up to protect our rivers and clean water.”
Take action and share your story at
You might also like our other short films. Check out:
River of Eden:
Water Is For Fighting:
O.A.R.S. has been providing whitewater rafting, sea kayaking & multi-sport vacations since 1969 and we learned from decades of experience how to create magical nature-based experiences for you, your family, your friends or your business—stellar and diverse scenery, the beauty of a raft floating downstream, exciting whitewater rapids and captivating companionship.
Please visit our YouTube channel:
You can also find out more at our website:
Like our page on Facebook:
Follow us on Twitter:
Are you on Instagram? We are:
Scenic Desert Drive into Moab, Utah - U.S. 191 South
A time lapse drive starting on I-70 west, then getting off on U.S. 191 south and ending in downtown Moab. This was my first time in Utah and I was blown away with how beautiful the state is.
(Sorry for the contrast/color issues at the beginning of the video. My dashcam has a hard time with rain clouds when the sun is shining at the same time)
If you enjoyed this video, please like, comment, and subscribe. It helps me out a lot! Thanks for watching!
Do you know about the northern lights, the Iditarod or Mr. Fur Face? Learn more about the largest state in the union from Liz Banicki, U.S. English teaching assistant. #50states #AK
Salmon River - Idaho, United States
- Created at TripWow by TravelPod Attractions (a TripAdvisor™ company)
Salmon River Idaho
The River of No Return is the longest free-flowing river contained within one state of America's lower 48 states.
Read more at:
Travel blogs from Salmon River:
- ... We continued on through the canyon into White Bird, following the Salmon River with people white rafting in the river right next to us ...
- ... It is the longest stretch of salmon river in the United States that does not have a dam along it ...
- ... We left Idaho Falls Monday morning and drove up the Salmon River after stopping at Walmart so I could get an Idaho fishing license ...
- ... This is the gateway to whitewater rafting on the Salmon River ...
- ... As I write this, we're in a campground overlooking the Salmon River after our first day of driving through beautiful country ...
- ... Photos from my drive along the Salmon River this morning ...
- ... Once again back on the road, we made our way to the Salmon River Scenic Byway, the second detour of the day, which spanned over 100 miles and provided us with some spectacular scenery along the ...
- ... laying out on the sand enthralled by the stars and waited for some moon beaming creeping from around the mountain at Salmon River beach, listening to soothing sounds of the streams; climbing thousands of feet high fierce steep slope mountain (albeit in ...
Read these blogs and more at:
- Caldwell, Idaho, United States
- Stanley, Idaho, United States
- Riggins, Idaho, United States
- Boise, Idaho, United States
Photos in this video:
- D: Salmon River Mountains bei / at Clayton by Pajas from a blog titled Der Kampf / The fight
- Hot Sprigs on the Salmon River by Noumena12 from a blog titled Views from along the Scenic Salmon River
- Salmon River Scenery by Shavonne-brian from a blog titled Our final adventures
- Salmon River 10 by Noumena12 from a blog titled Views from along the Scenic Salmon River
- Salmon River 11 by Noumena12 from a blog titled Views from along the Scenic Salmon River
- Salmon River 1 by Noumena12 from a blog titled Morning Photo Jaunt
- Salmon River 2 by Noumena12 from a blog titled Morning Photo Jaunt
- Salmon River 3 by Noumena12 from a blog titled Views from along the Scenic Salmon River
- Salmon River 4 by Noumena12 from a blog titled Views from along the Scenic Salmon River
- Salmon River 5 by Noumena12 from a blog titled Views from along the Scenic Salmon River
- Salmon River 6 by Noumena12 from a blog titled Views from along the Scenic Salmon River
- Salmon River 7 by Noumena12 from a blog titled Views from along the Scenic Salmon River
- Salmon River 8 by Noumena12 from a blog titled Views from along the Scenic Salmon River
- Salmon River by Pmf1153 from a blog titled Our Private Idaho
Cruise Ship Travel Yesterday and Today Compared + New Carnival Panorama Cruise Ship For Long Beach
Cruise Ship Travel Yesterday and Today Compared + New Carnival Panorama Cruise Ship For Long Beach Oh my the 1950's at sea how luxurious it was. Food was 5 star quality for 1st class passengers along with big band entertainment after dinner. We had the smoking lounge and the extensive library on board. Children had on board nurses to play with in the children's play room. At dinner time in the main dinning room the meat carver would come to your table and offer you the finest cut of prime rib or beef roast while you watched. Ah the good old days. This video is full of the memories of my viewers from cruise vacations gone by.
Fording the Bumping River
While hiking Fish Lake Way trail #971a just outside the Mt. Rainier National Park, we had to ford the Bumping River. Cold water!
I Love Seaside Park, New Jersey - Part 2, Boardwalk
My continuing love affair with Seaside Park, New Jersey. I really should take a trip and visit soon ^_^